Saturday, June 5, 2010

Weekend Cooking...Caite's Chocolate Cake in a Cup

Sometimes, you know, it's going to happen. There you are, hanging around the house and you just need something chocolate...maybe a chocolate cake. But that is such a production. But what if you could make one in just 5 minutes, all in one cup? Well, supposedly you can, according to proponents of The Five Minute Chocolate Cake in a Coffee Mug.

Now, as I looked around the internet, I found any number of takes on this and comments on the results that range from the best thing they every tasted to a horrible, rubbery mess. So I set out to give it a try.
I read about a dozen recipes, took an idea here, an idea there and came up with...

Caite's Chocolate Cake in a Cup!

you will need-
  • a microwave
  • a large coffee mug, in which you mix...
  • 3 Tbs. cocoa
  • 2 Tbs. flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp baking power
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 Tbs. oil
  • 2 Tbs. egg (1 whole egg is too much, so scramble one up and just use 2 Tbs.)
  • 3 Tbs. milk
  • 3 Tbs. chocolate chips or chopped up chocolate bar

Mix it all well in the cup and pop it in the microwave.
Now the key, I think, is not to overcook. It should still be moist and a little gooey even. For most modern microwaves, that is not one your mother bought in 1980, I think you are looking at about 1 or 1 and a half minutes. Err on the side of undercooking or you will have a dry, brown rock.

The result? It was pretty good, moist and very chocolaty, perhaps best eaten while it is still warm. It is very cool to watch it rise up in the cup. A fast and fun little project, maybe something fun to do with a child.Or for those of us who are children at heart.
Or if you just need some cake...and you need it fast!



This is my contribution this to this week's Weekend Cooking.
"Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend."
Be sure to check out the other entries this week. As always, hosted by Beth Fish Reads.


16 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness - I have never heard of this recipe idea, but I LOVE it!

    Thanks for doing all the research for us and providing us with a quick alternative to help feed our chocolate fix :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is our chocolate 911! Never heard of it, but I can attest that yes, sometimes you really need a fix and you need it quick. My answer has always been brownies, but that isn't quick. This sounds like a good project (yes, this and your red velvet cake you posted earlier!) for the summer with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was this your first attempt or did you find out the recipe through trial and error? How big a cup did you use? Inquiring minds who frequently have a chocoholic moment need to know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to try this! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had this one tucked on my blackberry notes labeled "The most dangerous chocolate cake recipe in the world." hmmm...maybe I will make one tonite -- it's a horrible dank, dreary, rainy day...just right for a chicken pot pie and a chocolate cake. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like the perfect way to not eat too much cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. to answer Kaye's many questions...

    the mug was about a 16 oz cup, according to my quite measurement just now and it was the perfect size.
    this was my first attempt. I did read about on the WWW quite a bit. looking at different approaches and took a bit from a couple. I was happy with the outcome I think and not sure it could be better...in 5 minutes.

    not overcooking is essential!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous idea -- perfect portion control and easy to put together. And in the summer your kitchen would not be heated up. I really need to try this. Thanks so much for doing the research and coming with a best-of-the-best recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I know about those chocolate emergencies, lol! My mother sent me a recipe very similar to this, but I haven't tried it yet. Maybe we should do a side-by-side comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beth, I am happy to do the research...and eat the outcome...lol

    JoAnn...I would be eager to see what some changes in the recipe would make. Please let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I should not have this information in my possession.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol...sorry about that...lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. mom wont let me have choco cake...

    ReplyDelete
  14. no chocolate for the baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Caite and thanks for stopping by my blog! What a great post this is for those of us who LOVE chocolate and this is one way to ration it! I will have to give it a try...thanks again!!
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks awesome-and to think you could make it for one.-Love it.

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!