Saturday, November 28, 2009

Weekend Cooking...savory Pumpkin Soup

Today, for our weekly Weekend Cooking, hosted by Beth Fish Reads, I am going to share with you one of my very favorite recipes in the world. It is easy, quick and totally delicious, three excellent characteristics of a recipe in my book.

Now I must warn you...do not be turned off by the pumpkin. This recipe was found by my SIL years ago on the back of the Libby pumpkin can, and there in lies the one thing that may keep people from trying this soup. Pumpkin. So, let me be clear. We are NOT talking about anything resembling the flavors of pumpkin pie or anything sweet, or cinnamon-like here. No, no. This is a savory soup, with the curry and coriander, with a bit of heat from the red pepper. But it is a heat you can adjust to your taste. The 1/8 teaspoon in the recipe is, I think, a good start for the first time you make it.

And if my experience is telling, it will not be the last time you make it. Rare is the person who does not like this soup when they taste it. I can almost guarantee people you serve this to will be clamoring for the recipe...just don't mention the word pumpkin until after they taste it.

Pumpkin Soup

1/4 cup butter
1 cup chopped onion
4 (or 8 ..but I like garlic) cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
1 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground coriander (best buy whole and grind it fresh)
1/8 tsp. red pepper, or to taste.
3 cups chicken stock (canned is fine)
1 cup 1/2 and 1/2 (or canned evaporated skim milk for a lower fat alternative)
16 oz. canned plain pumpkin

Sauté onion and garlic until soft. Add spices and cook over low heat 1-2 minutes. Add stock and boil gently 15-20 minutes. Add pumpkin and 1/2 and 1/2 and cook 5 minutes at low heat..
Put in blender in small batches (be careful blending hot things…put a dishtowel over the lid and hold as you slowly blend) and blend until smooth. Reheat and serve with a dollop of sour cream and some chopped scallions.


9 comments:

  1. Oh man, this sounds heavenly. And I bet it is beautiful with the sour cream and scallions on top. And how easy when you need a quick meal (add a salad or grilled cheese sandwiches).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My only regret is that I did not take a photo when we had it on Thanksgiving...as we always do.

    I love that you can quickly whip this up if you keep a can of pumpkin on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been searching for a pumpkin soup recipe for months. This one sounds perfect and I think I may try it for tomorrow's lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was skeptical when I saw what the recipe was for, but I'm going to try to be open minded and give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quick, easy, and delicious are three recipe qualities that sell me, too! I'm always looking for a new soup to try...thank you! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy..I understand! It is the pumpkin thing for a lot of folks. But try it once and I think you will be surprised.

    I hope..lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds great. I'll replace the chicken stock with vegetable as I'm veggie.
    Thanks for posting ;0)
    my post here:
    http://holisticknitter.blogspot.com/2009/11/weekend-cooking-food-meme.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yum! If I show up with my own bowl and spoon, will you feed me?

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds awesome. i had pumpkin bisque at my wedding and everyone loved it- so believe me, it can be good and this sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!